unlikely black pairings


It isn't intuitive to me to pair pastels with black - like seafoam green is effortlessly paired with black in Mango's January 2013 Lookbook. Even though Michelle Williams inspired me here, I still haven't been able to actually do it.


Moreso, spring floral prints. I've paired them with stripes (inspired by this), but not with black. Not yet.

Maybe I need these pieces the Prabal Gurung for Target Collection as my training wheels.


He incorporated black within the floral pieces - via the collar, neckline, arm & waist bands...


... so I don't need to struggle with breaking old design sensibilities by pairing a floral with a separate black piece.


Love this colorful print called Nolita with the black details! Gave the print an attractive edge.


Also love these shorts! 


It's funny that the very reason I struggle with pairing pastels or florals with black is precisely what makes the pairing so striking. While in my head, feminine, delicate colors & prints don't go with masculine, tough black, my heart says yes to the edginess that black gives the otherwise old and somewhat Stepford Wife feel of pastels & florals.

Okay, I resolve to try harder to break my ancient style sensibilities and mix my pastels and florals with black this week. Maybe I can start with pairing my florals with a small black piece - like a black belt?


Will you mix things up again with me?

Prabal Gurung for Target Collection will be out from February 10 to March 23, 2013. Hoping I can score these pieces via Target.com. View more of the collection with prices via nitrolicious.

Photos from nitrolicious.

Click on the following links for previous posts on breaking ancient fashion rules:
... mixing prints
... mixing gray & yellow
... mixing brown & black
... mixing stripes & florals

Comments

  1. Love this colorful print with the black details! Gave the print an attractive edge. Also love these shorts! I've paired them with stripes. Lovely affordable dresses collection everybody should prefer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts